TRAINING TO WORK AS SECURITY GUARD
- Be a citizen or legal resident alien of the U.S. or have been granted authority to work in the U.S. by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
- Complete the required security guard training.
- Be at least 18 years old.
Requirements for the Academy
Before you can apply, you must first complete a minimum of 40 hours of professional training by a Security Officer School or Training Facility licensed by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
The training may be obtained by one of the following methods:
- Successful completion of 40 hours of training before you submit your initial application, or
- Successful completion of 24 hours of training before you submit your initial application and successful completion of 16 hours of training.
Also Required with Your State Application
- 1 proof of ID.
- Proof of training.
- A passport style photograph.
There is a $45 licensing fee, as well as a $42 fingerprint car processing fee. They can only be paid by money order, cashier’s check or a company check payable to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
An application, which includes more detailed information about how to apply and what to include with your application, can be downloaded for free from the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services website.
Click here to get access to your application, and remember that for an unarmed security guard, you will be going for a Class “D” Security Officer License.